Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rimmel Stay Matte powder - Review

I've said it before, and it bears repeating here: I have oily skin. At least, my T-Zone is oily. Annoyingly oily. While I haven't found a perfect skincare solution (really hoping my Clarisonic can help me with this), I have found that powdering my face is the best way, at this point, to keep the shininess away. Trolling through Target, I happened upon their small selection of Rimmel products, and this gem caught my eye.

Rimmel's website claims this powder will keep you shine free for 5 hours. I'd agree with that. I like they don't stretch that to "all day," or try to skirt the time issue altogether. At the same time... 5 hours isn't long. I typically apply my make up at about 5:00 AM, and take it off anywhere from 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM, depending on what I'm doing in the afternoon. I'd be much more impressed with the longevity of this product if I was still matte by the end of the day, but, I can't knock Stay Matte for not living up to my dreams.


Stay Matte retails for $3.99 at my Target (and I assumed it'd be the same at yours). For the price, you get 12 grams of pressed powder. It comes in 3 shades, and I selected Transparent 001, which is, obviously, transparent (hence, no swatch). It's housed in a plastic compact, with a removable lid. This brings me to my only complaint about the product - it'd be a nightmare to travel with. The whole idea of a pressed powder is that it's easy to transport, and not messy to use. The lid on this powder comes off extremely easily, which would eventually end up with me, a broken powder, dirty purse, and an angry face. I wish they sold this in a standard compact.

Previous to picking up Rimmel's Stay Matte powder, I was using the Maybelline Fit Me powder. I have a MAC Blot compact floating around in my purse I should break out and use, to compare Stay Matte to Blot. I have noticed this powder doesn't really like to be layered. What I liked about MAC Blot is the fact I don't have to blot, I can just use my kabuki to apply it. Stay Matte can get a little mask-like when doing this. This is a minor complaint, though, and can easily be avoided by not reapplying, which is really easy to avoid.

Overall, I'm impressed. I haven't tried any of Rimmel's other products, but I like this quite a bit. I may need to pay a little more attention to this line in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment