Saturday, March 3, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow - Review

I use cream shadows everyday. Although I seem to prefer them in stick form (like the Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils), I'm intrigued by drugstore products that mimic higher end offerings. In this case, Maybelline has formulated cream shadows that are very reminiscent of MAC's Paint Pots. But, are they better?
 Maybelline seems to claim these shadows will last 24 hours. I mean, they printed it on the package, so it must be true, right? Anyway, I have three shades: Tough as Taupe, Painted Purple, and Bad to the Bronze.

Bad to the Bronze is a shimmer brown/bronze. Painted Purple is a bright, shimmery purple. Tough as Taupe is a matte (!!) grey brown. I'm very surprised by Tough as Taupe - matte products seem to be hard to formulate well, and they did a fantastic job with this one! All three of these are creamy, and easy to blend and work with. They do not, however, last all day without creasing. I end up with creasing around hour 8 or so,when set with powder eyeshadow, which is still pretty awesome, but no where near the 24 hour claim. I can't wear them alone, because they crease after an hour.

I find these to be very similar to the best-textured Paint Pots from MAC. Some Paint Pots are hard and require warming, or they feel almost tacky to the touch. None of the Color Tattoo shades I have are like that - they're all very similar feeling, even Tough as Taupe.

Price ranges a bit, due to the nature of drugstore brands. I think the least I've seen them is around $6, and the highest was around $9.

I like these. I like them enough that I'm planning on getting one more (the white one). I think they're an excellent option for anyone who doesn't want to pay $18 for a Paint Pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment