Friday, April 15, 2011

Stila Smudge Stick in Lionfish - Review

I'll admit that my eye looks are almost the same everyday. Unless I get something new, I'll typically wear the same 3 shadows 5 days week. And I used to reach for the same eyeliner each and every day.... MAC's Teddy Eye Kohl. Gah, a beautiful bronzey-brown that brought the green out of my eyes, wore all day, and I could smudge it if I wanted to. I love it. I love it so much, that I have about an inch left of the pencil. But, alas, why rebuy something I know I love, when I could spend more and find something I may just "like?" (Don't answer that!). Anyway, when stalking through my Ulta, I found one of their exclusive Stila palettes for some awards show. For $25, I was able to get a palette of 6 eyeshadows, a convertible color (in an honestly gross color), a powder highlighter, and a Smudge Stick in Lionfish. I had been very curious about Smudge Sticks, and most of the palette looked good (save the aforementioned ugly convertible color), so I picked it up.

Smudge Sticks are regularly $20. These are automatic liners, meaning you "twist" the pencil to get access to more product. According to Ulta's website:

"Smudge Sticks are what every woman has been looking for in a eye liner! There is a high content of volatile silicones and modern wax oil combinations that make this very comfortable and confident. It will be available in a mechanical pencil no sharpening needed. There is a Vitamin C and E, which will moisturize and act as an antioxidant to help against skin aging. Paraben Free, Not Animal Tested."
They come in 8 colors currently, most of which are named for fish. This liner applies very smooth and evenly, and it doesn't tug on my lid or lashline. I've tried it on my waterline and had the usual (for me) results - looked great for about an hour, then it vanished. On my lashline, however, it lasts all day! Once the liner has "set," it does not move at all, even through crying or watery eyes (I have a slight hay-fever issue). This means, however, if I decide to go for a smudgey-liner look, I have to work very, very quickly.

Lionfish is described as a "Deep bronze sheen," but, we can call it a bronzey-brown. Compared to Teddy, it's a dead-on dupe on my skin, and is also quite similar to Clinique's Creamshaper for Eyes pencil in Chocolate Luster.

I've never found water to be a good solvent for makeup, especially long-wearing makeup. I really have to use an oil-type or dual-phase remover (currently using a sample of Lancome's Bi-Facil). With this type of remover, the liner comes off with ease.

I'm extremely pleased with the Smudge Stick I have. While I don't particularly care for the price (only because I've been able to purchase Stila items so cheaply in the past), I would love to get my hands on more of these liners!

No comments:

Post a Comment