Friday, June 10, 2011

Buxom Stay-There Eye Shadow - Review

I'll admit that Leslie Blodgett is a marketing genius. I never, ever, thought I'd buy anything from Bare Escentuals, or the Buxom line, but whenever I catch Bare Escentuals on QVC, my debit card is invariably removed from my wallet, and money is removed from my bank account. I really can't say I've been disappointed in my BE purchase, or those from any of the spin-offs, like Buxom, and I love cream eyeshadows as color bases, so I was pretty pleased with myself when I set up a Makeup Alley swap for two of the Buxom Stay-There shadows.


The claims for these shadows, according to Sephora:

This bounc-i-licious new eye color offers the ultimate experience with an unexpectedly plush, lightweight texture and vivid color. It leaps and bounds beyond what you've come to expect from eye color and better, yet, it's even waterproof. Named after our loyal four-legged friends, these stay-put shades will be your faithful new beauty companions as they comfort and care for your pretty peepers. The mineral-infused, paraben-free formula pampers delicate skin with soothing Aloe extract and Vitamin E—all with a non-greasy, long-wearing finish. Touch it. Pet it. Love it. Only at Sephora.

These are packaged in small glass jars with screw-on lids. For your $17, you get 0.12 oz of product, when compare to MAC Paint Pots ($16.50 for 0.17), they're not the best deal in the world.

I was really surprised by the texture of these shadows. As indicated in the claims, they are, in fact, not greasy at all. They're moussey, and I found it's very, very easy to get too much product on my finger when trying to apply them. Seriously, it's like your touching a loose shadow or something when touching the surface of the shadow. So weird. I've noticed you don't need much, either, with each application.



The girl I was swapping with had several up for swap, and I selected two, Mutt and Schnauzer. Mutt is described on Sephora as a "bronzed taupe," and Schnauzer is a "vivid violet plum." Both descriptions, I think, are inaccurate. Mutt appears as a "my lid but more shimmery" color, and Schnauzer is a weakly-pigmented purple. Of the two, I really like Mutt, and don't really care for the color of Schnauzer at all (it looks very, very nice in the jar, though).

Surprisingly, these make fabulous bases for powder shadows. Honest. When applied over a base of UDPP, and set with just about any shadow, these puppies (ha!) lasted all day without creasing or fading. As with most cream-type shadows, you don't need much. I've found that a thin layer works best, and could never build Schnauzer enough without major creasing. Mutt appeared on my lids just fine, though. Without being set, however, these did tend to crease on me, but every other cream shadow I've ever tried does, so I can't blame this product.

Do I like these, given how I use them? Yep. Would I go buy them on my own? Maybe. I sort of prefer pencil-type shadows, like the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, but the Stay-There shadows aren't bad. I'd be curious to see if the other colors tend to be like Mutt (pigmented) or like Schnauzer (not pigmented).

No comments:

Post a Comment