Friday, February 24, 2012

Cover Girl LashBlast 24 Hour Mascara - Review

I am not a fan of any of the LashBlast mascaras. They just don't do much for me. I've tried the original (meh), and the LashBlast Fusion formula (double meh), but I had to try a mascara that claimed to last 24 hours. Had to.
LashBlast 24 Hour comes in a fat black tube with metallic orange lettering and graphics. It comes in  a few shades of black, and I picked up Very Black (as opposed to "Black"). I almost exclusively wear black or the darkest black mascara available. Brown mascaras always look weird to me, and it's super easy for me to tell if the mascara has pigmentation issues, because my lashes are red/blonde.
Like the original LashBlast, 24 Hour has one of those massive rubber/silicone spikey wands. I hate them. I knew I hated them when I bought this mascara, and I should've known nothing would change my mind. This surely didn't. It's hard to get the inner and outer corner lashes with these things, because the cone-shaped bristles are microscopically small at the tip, making them more pointless than an icemaker on Antarctica. The pigmentation is somewhat poor, as well. I wore this over a while mascara primer (Lancome's Cils Booster XL), and it usually required 3+ coats to fully cover the primer. This subsequently caused some clumping, but it was easily brushed out with a metal lash comb. Without primer, I still needed multiple coats to fully cover my lashes.

That said, it lasted all day without flaking or smudging. Did I get "a blast of lush, volumized lashes," as Cover Girl claims? No. I got slightly volumized lashes, with a touch of extra length. Oh, and a bit of aggravation when it came time to remove this stuff. I've been using Clinique's Take of the Day Balm, and 24 Hour lasts through that, plus normal face washing. I have to use an eye makeup remover, then the balm, and then wash my face. That's a lot of steps. I don't really like to spend that much time and energy on my lashes, because I really don't want to pull them out during the process of getting them clean.

If you need a mascara that lasts forever, 24 Hour is for you. If you want a mascara that lasts all day and is easily removed, however, don't bother with this one.

3 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you. I normally do not write reviews but I had to on this product. I love it, and I pray that Covergirl does not discontinue it. When they say 24 hours, they mean it. I'm half Hispanic/half Caucasian and have NO curl what so ever to my lashes so I have to curl them and then usually use an expensive department store (Lancôme or Urban Decay) waterproof mascara to get the curl to hold. I bought this on a whim after reading negative reviews of how hard it is to remove. I figured, I use waterproof anyway, I may as well try it. It held my curl after putting it on. I was amazed! I never get a curl hold from drug store mascaras, even waterproof. I will admit, it's not much on volume but I can easily use a volumizing mascara for that. I just wanted an inexpensive non-department store mascara that would hold my curl and this does. I didn't have a hard time removing this as everyone else did. I use Pond's make-up remover wipes and Loréal's Clean Artiste for waterproof make-up to remove my waterproof mascara anyway so I just used this same routine and had no hard time at all removing the Covergirl 24 Lash mascara. I suggest to all that bought it and had a negativity to the removal to try my process and see if that changes your view of the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the mascara works for you! Mascara is so tricky to review, because everyone's lashes (and removal methods) are so different. I just wasn't wowed by this mascara, though. I admire it's tenacity (that's a great quality for a mascara to have), but I don't want to buy a specific remover for a product, because that means the product costs that much more, you know? I'm perfectly happy with current method to remove my makeup.

    Regardless, I'm happy it works for you, it's a great feeling when you find that one product that does exactly what you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how the curl holds in Baltimore humidity! I have high hopes cause no waterproof, EVEN department store brand has been able to hold up to Baltimore humidity in the summer lol. I even cried with this on and my curl held, that was impressive. The thing with me, I was already spending the extra money on Remover wipes and Liquid make-up remover, I figured I may as well give this stuff a shot and see what it takes :) I'm just glad I don't have to run to a department store anymore or spend the extra $20 on it :)

      Delete