Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Maybelline Volum' ExpressOne by One Mascara - Review

Despite being on a mascara no-buy for the last 18 months as I used all of the sample tubes I'd accumulated, I had been having so much luck with Maybelline products over the last 3 months or so, that I was excited to try their newest mascara, One by One. I picked up a tube in "Blackest Black."



From the Maybelline website:

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT
Finally, bold volume without any of the bulk.
• Patented Lash Catcher™ brush has 3 bristles per lash to make every lash count
• Catches, coats and de-clumps each lash to make them all fatter and flirtier
• Instant clump-free volume
• Contact lens safe and ophthalmologist-tested
• Washable, also available in Waterproof formula
FOR BEST RESULTS
Sweep brush upwards from root to tip to add volume to each lash. Continue building lashes until you reach your desired look. Do not let dry between coats. Removes easily with soap and water or Expert Eyes® 100% Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover.

The brush, like many brushes, seems massive, and has those rubbery bristles which I tend to dislike. I've been using this mascara for 3 weeks now, and have finally figured out how to best apply this to get the application down in a way to make the formula do what I like. I don't follow the well-meaning "For Best Results" information above, rather, I have found if I "roll" the mascara on to my lashes, I get great results. I prefer volumizing mascaras, that offer a little boost to definition and length. I recall liking MAC Plushlash and Dazzlelash (but, it's been almost 2 years since I last used either of these mascaras), as a reference point. If I don't roll the mascara wand, this mascara looks and acts like any other "regular" mascara, ie, "my lashes but black." This sort of defeats the purpose of a volumizing mascara, no?


I liked that the bristles at the tip of the wand taper, so I don't end up with mascara in the inner corner of my eye after getting those lashes. In all honesty, I found this mascara pretty easy to apply cleanly, meaning, I didn't have to clean up after applying it.


I don't curl my lashes, and I can't speak to how well this mascara holds a curl. I can say it doesn't melt or flake off my lashes, and it coats very well. It also removes very easily with a makeup remover, like Lancome's Bifacil or Clinique's Take off the Day, which I greatly appreciate. 


Overall, I've been very pleased with this purchase. Drugstore mascaras have really stepped up their game over the last several years. I always had a bad taste in my mouth regarding Maybelline's mascaras since using Great Lash in high school, but this formula is pretty good, provided I apply it using my rolling method. 

No comments:

Post a Comment