Friday, April 20, 2012

TheBalm Frat Boy Blush - Review

TheBalm is a quirky brand that for some reason, I almost always skip over. When I do purchase something, it's usually good, but it's never really remarkable in anyway. In fact, they usually end up getting swapped for something else, because there's something about them that bugs me. Some small facet prevents me from just loving them. Maybe it's the name of the branch, their kitschy packaging, their strange marketing, I don't know.

I do know that I have a peachy-pink blush problem. I love them. I collect them all, like Pokemon. It's a disease, but I don't want to be cured. I'd been lusting after Frat Boy (I hate the name) for a while, and finally broke down and picked it up during Hautelook's recent TheBalm sale. Normally, this blush retails for $21. For your money, you get 0.3 ounces of blush.
The package is, as indicated before, kitschy, just like the rest of the line. It has a football theme, which is kinda cute, but since it's cardboard, I'm not super impressed. I will say it's very sturdy, and the "compact" stays closed on it's own, without the cardboard sleeve. It does include a mirror on the inside of the lid. The sleeve (which is exactly the same as the outer packaging) is a tight fit, making it somewhat difficult to remove the compact.
The color, of course, its a peachy pink. Sephora calls it "peachy apricot," but, to my eye, it's a peachy-pink. Less pink than peach, though. It's not glittery, like NARS Orgasm or TheBalms' Hot Mama. It's more satin/matte. It's not too soft, not to hard. The pigmentation is nice, not too much, and not too light (it must be a Goldilocks kind of day).
The blush wears well enough on my cheeks, and lasts all day (which is more than I can say for some powder blushes). It blends well enough to suit my needs, and doesn't seem to morph or change over time.

My only issue with this blush is, I'm not overjoyed with it. It's nice, easy to wear, and right up my alley, colorwise. But, my overall feeling about it is meh. I could easily swap or sell it, and wouldn't know it was gone. I also think for $21, the packaging could be nicer. Cardboard has it's place, but I'd prefer something a little more substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment