Friday, March 25, 2011

Tarte Amazonian Clay Balancing Foundation SPF 15- Review


I'm a sucker for QVC beauty shows. And they're Today's Special Values (TSVs) can be a really good deal. So, when the latest Tarte TSV started getting talked up on MUA and the blogs, I figured "Why not? I need a new foundation anyway," and set myself up for autodelivery.

The foundation was/is exclusive to this kit until later this summer. It boasts about offering full coverage without the apparently nasty stuff that other brands include in their products. After careful consideration, I selected the "Light" shade, after others reported the foundation ran very light, color-wise. Off the cuff (0r, more appropriately, out of the tube), the foundation appears a bit dark, however, after blending it in, it looks great on my light NC15 skin. After a few hours (about 5, on average), it starts to oxidize. It's not terribly noticeable until after about 8+ hours, though. I will say that it appears I can control the oxidation a bit, depending upon the primer I use under it. I've noticed that if I layer MAC's Prep + Prime finishing powder under my Murad Oil Control lotion, and use BE's Hydrating Mineral Veil, the oxidation is not as bad. I need to keep playing around with this, though.

For whatever reason, this picture makes the tarte foundation look really, really dark and yellow. In real life, it is slightly more yellow than the Chanel and MUFE, but not so dark.

The texture of this foundation is mousse-y. I really like it, and it sort of gives that "velvet" feel to the skin after application, like Philosophy's the present, or Benefit's Pore-Fessional.

Although Tarte prints on the tube this is a full coverage foundation, I wouldn't bet money on it. On me, without concealer and my MUFE primer, the slight ruddiness of my cheeks comes through, and the 2 weird red blemishes I've had this week were very obvious. I'd say this foundation wears and feels more like a medium coverage foundation. I can't really build up the coverage with this foundation, either. By the end of the normal work day, it's very cakey where I've attempted to get more complete coverage. Where I haven't added an extra layer, however, it looks fine.

I've used my MAC 187 and the huge brush that came with the kit to apply this product, and both work equally well. I don't believe the brush is a must have, but it is nice (and I typically don't like synthetic brushes!).

Finish-wise, this foundation has the same effect as many of the "natural" finish foundations - sort of that glowy finish that usually translates to oily on me after a few hours. I will say this foundation lasts all day, but even with my imperfect primer system (I still need a good, oil controlling primer - any suggestions?), I'm a grease-ball after 8 - 9 hours, the usual time frame I have makeup on.

All in all, I'm glad I got on auto-delivery for this. I may try and switch the foundation color, however, or try and get my hands on the Fair foundation, to see if it works better for me. I like the foundation, and I'm pleased that it really does last all day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. It is very helpful to me.I didn't do the auto-delivery and the light was too light for me. I found the same about the coverage, though. I need the tan, but QVC only has "deep" remaining and I can't find this anyplace on the web, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Tarte plans on releasing this to regular retailers in July. I really hope they introduce more colors, because everything I've read indicates that the Fair shade will be way too light. I have auto delivery, but I keep thinking about cancelling the next shipment, but I want the blush!

    ReplyDelete