Friday, December 31, 2010

Cover Girl NatureLuxe Lip Balm - Review


I'll admit it. I love a good lip balm - I mean, who doesn't? So when I heard about Cover Girl's new line of "Natural" cosmetics, and the balm, I was really interested. I was really hoping they'd partner with Bzzagent and I'd be able to try this line for free, but that didn't happen. Since I had a fairly good coupon, however, I bit the bullet and purchased two different colors at my local Target, Marble (#255) and Coral (#230).

Cover Girl says: "Get the sheer color and shine of a gloss with the soft, lightweight fee of SPF Balm. Fortified with mango and shea butter, this feel-good formula leaves your lips feeling decadent and delicious." I should've read this a little closer, as I'll explain in a bit.

We'll start things on a positive note - these don't cost much. I believe they retail for $5.99 at Target, and drugstore.com. The packaging is nice - a soft minty pearlized green tube, and a clear top with a soft wavey-green design. The part of the tube where the balm lives is clear, so you get the idea there may be a lot of product here (you'd be wrong, though).




Looking carefully, you'll see right above the light green a bit of clear plastic, which is the bottom of the balm. Yeah, not a ton of product there. 0.07 oz, according to the label. Although, I suppose this isn't a bad thing, since this product is pretty poor.


As a balm, this fails miserably. It feels gritty on my lips, which thankfully only lasts about 5 minutes, which is how long this balm stays. Who wants a balm that short-lived? When I think of a lip balm, I think of a balm that is thick, moisturizing, and the feeling of protecting my lips (ie, Labello's Good Night Kiss, or the Philosophy Very Emollient Balms).



Maybe you were thinking - "hey, the colors are pretty, right?" Well, in a word, no.

Cover Girl knows exactly what sheer means - although maybe transparent would've been a better adjective. Marble, which is a pretty pink in the tube, is essentially clear on my inner wrist (and my lips are a bit more pigmented than that). Coral is marginally better, however this is probably half a dozen swipes to get that little color. Considering these wear off extremely quickly, the lack of pigmentation is really the least of my concerns.


These *look* good, but they are a poor product. I won't repurchase, and am at a loss as to what I should do with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment